Wednesday

Where to begin

I suspect there are very few of you who read my blog that don't know me in Real Life, so this story won't be new to you. I figured I'd first just tell the story, and then have a few more entries thinking over the ramifications.

We've had a few days to "process" and I am not feeling nearly as emotional as last Thursday. Or Friday. Or Saturday. Or Sunday.

Last Thursday Youngest Cho-Boy left the house mad. Not unusual. What was unusual was that when went to call him in, he was no-where. Well, at least not answering, and again, that's not unusual in itself when he's upset. But it was just before 8 and down at the creek, where the leaves filled in, it was growing dark. Taking off, then putting back on my glasses, trying any trick to "see" him. It became obvious that he was gone. Gone. Flashlights came out, shouting, calling, checking the creek up and down, the bamboo forest, the bushes beside the house. Inside the house. Expecting at every turn to find him curled up under a comforter or crouched beside the bushes. After just 15 minutes, I panicked. Lost it. The worst ever thoughts were at the forefront of my brain. Gone. It was dark now. Everywhere. He does not spend time in the dark alone inside or outside. This was a scary first.
I thought I would never ever see him again.
Ever.

After a longer time of pacing and searching in circles, enlisting the neighbors at this point and calling in relatives for reinforcement. Choking out words on the phone as best I could: We've lost ChoBoy, please come with a flashlight.
Then the call to the police after we'd been looking for close to 40 minutes. We didn't want to admit defeat in a way. That call meant he really was lost, gone, we may never see him again. Help. Within minutes, literally, of that call, he was home. The MotherinLaw didn't even have time to get to our house before he showed up in a police car.

Hi Dad, I'd better go say Hi to Mom.

Did I mention he was barefoot? How bout the lady that asked him if he needed help (and thank you Lady for not being Evil) He got into her car and she called the cops for assistance. Seemingly at the same time The S.O. was making our call to them.
So he collapses on the bed, sobbing, with me on top of him, keening for all I was worth.

4 comments:

starrhillgirl said...

Yes, I know it already, and yes, I have said more to you about it than you probably want, but fuck, I am sorry. Sorry and so glad he's ok.

Elsie said...

I can only imagine. I am surprised anyone could function the next day. I would have been under the bed trying to rest and forget and mostly trying, after all, and now that he was safe not to shake him until his teeth rattled. Bless his heart.

Anonymous said...

I heard too. How horrible. So glad he is o.k. I imagine it will have made an impression, so no repeats,knock on wood.
xo,
LB

Anonymous said...

thanks, all. Really.
Oh, but not you jojosho.
For you, you shall be deleted.