Monday

Monday Monday Monday

The sun sure was a treat today. I am sure you'll agree that you don't quite realize how gloomy it's been until the sun and warmth return. It was so pleasant in fact, that I opened a window. Our house is old and leaky, but it still helps to air the place out with gusto every once in a while.

The morning started off rather unkempt - weepy children, a stuck-tight dresser drawer, late everybody. But I was going to have none of that. The dresser is still a mystery, but I helped the sobbing child get to school with the promise of an early pick up then assisting how I could to get everybody's heiney out the door.

Weepy Child, YoungestCho was exhausted from a Saturday overnight at a friends' house. Complete with Dr. Pepper for dinner AND breakfast and a super-late bedtime. We had known to cover the fact that his friend goes hunting so there are guns at the house, now we'll cover the caffeine another time.

He fell asleep while picking up his room yesterday, and had the nap of the DangNabbed as we call it. Too long, too late. When your eyes are rolling back in your head as you struggle to pull yourself into conscienceness. When it's all to easy to convince yourself that closing your eyes is precisely the right thing to do. My remedy is a quick, cold glass of OJ and bearing witness to the quiet glugs and nose breathing the accompanies the rabid and delicious drinking going on in the comfort of my lap. Blood sugar rising, blood pumping. Eyes open.
This morning he had to be woken up for school. An anomaly for sure. He was so tired, he couldn't muster his usual energy for confrontation. Although he continued his usual mule-like reluctance to eat, get dressed and brush his teeth, he actually did them all, an improvement over some mornings where he gets everyone in a tizzy. I'd say 3 days a week, he's got everyone's number. As much as we don't want to hand him our ticket. His ability to suck us all in is a major focus for our adult chats about parenting. We are still learning/yearning to be consistent.

I got him early from school today and that proved to be a good decision. His class has recess at the end of the day and I figured I'd free him from having to run and negotiate random friendship drama. "you're late!" he piped. "hmm" me, out loud, "am not" grumbled in my head, not engaging, not engaging. He is green. Cheeks, both palms, shirt, backpack straps. From oil pastels. Pretty cute. At home, he immediately changed into comfy pants and wanted a snuggle. His ability to suck us all in is pretty noteworthy. . .

1 comment:

starrhillgirl said...

"Mule-like"....oh, my poor tiny bf! Tired! Missing me!
(snort)