Saturday

That time again



Every year around this time I look forward to the monarchs. I am determined to create the necessary environment to aid their declining populations, as well as be able to educate the various school kids I have in my life.

These days, that means pulling over on the side of the road and hunting through the milkweed there to claim some caterpillars for my house. The last post featured a caterpillar the boys found on their Sunday Railroad Walk. That one has left our milkweed plants to do its thing, and last I checked, the other large caterpillar I abducted has gone missing. I was hoping that they wouldn't go too far to molt, but I haven't had any luck finding their hiding places. I still have a younger one, probably 2-3 molts away from its chrysalis stage, so I am going to try and remember to bring it inside when its bigger.

One side of the road jaunt did turn up a chrysalis, so it's already inside where I can keep an eye on it. After just a few short days at our house it's turning more translucent and you can now just barely make out the recognizable black and orange peeking through. I suspect it will unveil itself tomorrow morning. Granted it's Sunday, so the only school kids watching will be mine, but I also know they will enjoy it.

I'll post pictures if I get them.

1 comment:

starrhillgirl said...

I was scarred, scarred, I tell you, by my mother's insistence on road-side stops to hunt and gather milkweed. You'll note I am now gay. Think of Your Children. Please.

And bring us a caterpillar. Please.